Take Our Current Survey
Answer a quick question about what you would like to have more of in your marriage
Introduction to the Journey:
About The Author:
Click the arrow to show/hide series
On Being One Flesh
The Audacity of the Bridal Paradigm
The Path of Intimacy
Shame and Intimacy
Grace In Marriage
- My Marriage Beliefs
- What If...?
- ► 2016 (49)
- ► 2015 (33)
- ► 2014 (47)
- ► 2013 (51)
- Unloving or Unloved
- Do You Assume Love?
- The Most Important Intimate Connection of All
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 13
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 12
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 11
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 10
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 9
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 8
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 7
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 6
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 5
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 4
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 3
- Intimacy Challenge - Day 2
- Intimacy Challenge for Husbands - Day 1
- Intimacy Challenge for Wives - Day 1
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2011 (83)
- ► 2010 (102)
About (20) Accountability (7) Authority (49) Awards (1) Being One Flesh (82) Blog Links (79) Blogging (37) Books (26) Children (11) Christmas (4) Commitment (28) Communication (67) Date Night (8) Differences (40) Difficulties (60) Downloads (5) Dress for Success (7) Faith (11) Family Life (43) Finances (8) Friday Favorites (8) Friday Freebies (9) Giveaways (15) Glory (4) Goals (43) Grace (49) Guest Post (4) Headship (13) Intimacy (173) Intimacy Challenge (21) Kindness (13) Love (92) Man-up Monday (17) Marriage (92) Men (47) Men Only Monday (7) Needs (6) Paradigm in Practice (22) Passion (23) Positivity (24) Prayer (27) Resources (21) Respect (15) Roles (10) Romance (45) Romantic Ideas (24) RRR (19) Sex (70) Shame (12) Society and Culture (44) Songs (2) Spiritual Life (97) Submission (40) Surrender (34) Surveys and Polls (37) The Bridal Paradigm (75) The Church (16) Transparency (27) True Love (9) Trust (2) Truth in Tension (5) Videos (10) Watchfulness (60) What If? (5) Wives only Wednesday (18) Women (35)
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Did you ever wonder why this verse is written the way it is:
However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Ephesians 5:33 (NIV)
Seems awkwardly imbalanced, doesn’t it? I mean doesn’t everybody need both love and respect? Well, yes, but it seems to me this verse is written like it is for a good reason, and it has to do with a difference in the common core needs of men and women.
Big shocker men and women are DIFFERENT.
For more reflections this topic, here is a link to an article written by Emmerson Eggerichs, the author of one of my favorite marriage books, Love and Respect.
- Not Wrong, Just Different – A wife typical notices the presence or absence of love. A husband typically sees the presence or absence of respect.
Dr. Eggerichs asked over 7,000 men and women this question, “When you are in conflict with your spouse or significant other, do you feel unloved or disrespected?” 83% of the men said “disrespected.” 72% of the women said “unloved.”
Now let’s take a separate, deeper look at the topics of love and respect.
Day 3 for Wives
Respecting Your Husband
Respecting Your Husband
Did you know that respect is probably more important to your husband than sex? You may doubt me on this, but I would bet it is true.
In a poll conducted for her book For Women Only, author Shanti Feldhahn discovered that three out of four men would rather feel unloved than disrespected.
In fact, if your husband feels disrespected, he will feel unloved. Period.
What should you do with this knowledge of your husband’s deeply felt need for your respect? Well, give it to him, of course!
I’m challenging you to spend the next 24 hours going above and beyond when it comes to showing your husband respect and appreciation.
For some of you it will be easier to come up with ideas than for others of you. So I have put together a few suggestions to at least get your creative juices flowing:
- Don’t correct him for a whole day – not even once (unless it involves life or death). Be aware of every time you are tempted to do so.
- Ask his opinion about something and follow his suggestion, even if you don’t agree. Note: don’t ask him unless you are willing to take his advice.
- Tell him how much you appreciate how hard he works to provide for the family. Acknowledge the sacrifices he makes on your behalf.
- Tell him you want to make him something special for dinner as a show of appreciation. Ask him what he would like to have, and make it for him
- Give him a kiss (yeah one like that challenge kiss from Day 1) and tell him how handsome he is. Yes, ladies, your husband needs to know he is attractive to you.
- Tell him something he does that really turns you on (something not explicitly sexual).
- Ask him what he would like you to wear to bed and then wear it cheerfully and proudly for him (yes I said proudly - you know what I mean).
- Wrap your arms around him and tell him how happy you are to be married to him and why.
These are just a few specific suggestions. Pick a few of them or come up with your own. Be creative and have fun with it!
If you try a unique way to show respect to your husband, leave a comment on the blog or on my Facebook page, and help out the other wives taking part in the challenge. We could all benefit from each other’s ideas!
Explain to your husband that you read an interesting article about how strong a husband’s need for respect is. Tell him you want to do better at it, and then ask him,
“Are there things I do or say that sometimes make you feel disrespected?"
Listen to what he says, and try not to be defensive.
Day 3 for Husbands
Loving Your Wife
Loving Your Wife
Of course you know you should love your wife. But I’m not talking about mushy feelings here, as great as those are. I’m talking about consistently showing her tender affection, that you care for her and her needs. It’s harder to do than you might think.
In researching for their book For Men Only, authors Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn asked women the following question in a survey. “When you are feeling insecure about his love or the relationship, which of the following are true about your feelings?” The wives’ answers might surprise you:
- I need reassurance (44.4%)
- I might become quite preoccupied until I get that reassurance (19.5%)
- I withdraw emotionally (31.6%)
- I become depressed (27.9%)
- It affects other areas of my life (34.3%)
- It confirms my suspicion that I'm not very lovable or not worthy of his love (10.1%)
- I feel like I'm not valued in his eyes (26.4%)
- Nothing helps, I just need time to process alone (9.4%)
- I never feel insecure about his love or the relationship (17.8%)
Your wife needs your love, and she needs you to show it.
Because your wife’s radar is tuned to naturally and easily pick up “unloving” words and deeds, it is easy for her to feel insecure about your love, even if you tell her and show fairly consistently. (It’s the same way your radar is tuned to pick up disrespect.)
If you are like me, you are probably often surprised at how easy it is for your wife to slip into being insecure about your love.
There are an infinite number of ways to convey your love for your wife. For the next few days, I am going to have you focus on different areas where you can and should express love to your wife.
Today's challenge is to give her a day full of small gestures of love. Often times a bunch of small love expressions scattered throughout the day will do more to say “I love you” to your wife than a single grand gesture, such as bringing her flowers (no I’m not saying you shouldn’t bring her flowers!).
Below is a list of suggested little love expressions. The point is to do as many as you can scattered throughout today. Have fun with it!
- Put a little note on the dash of her car that says “I’m thankful that you are my wife.”
- Prepare her coffee or tea. As you hand it to her say “I added extra love.”
- Text her and say “I can’t stop thinking of how much I love you.”
- Invite her to have lunch with you, if that is possible for your work situation.
- On your way home from work, buy her a small treat you know she’ll enjoy for tomorrow’s breakfast.
- When you get home from work, hold her extra long. Say “this is the best part of my day so far.”
- Offer to rub her feet or shoulders while you are watching TV.
Of course my list is just a starting point. Come up with your own to add to it. If you care to share your unique love gestures, leave a comment on the blog or on my Facebook page and help out the other guys taking part in the challenge. We can all benefit from each other’s ideas!
“Are you getting the message that I really am totally in love with you?”
Explain to her that you really want to do a better job of showing your love for her and ask,
“So out of the little ways I showed you love today, which ones stood out?”
Make a mental note of her response.
We Have Moved!
Journey to Surrender
Stay here if you want to search old content.
Click on over if you want to see the latest and greatest!
Connect With Us
Subscribe by email and never miss a post!
New subscribers will receive a free copy of my ebook :
How to Have a Succ-Sex-Full Marriage
Facebook page has lots of extra marriage-related stuff not found on my blog.